Applying for Free and Reduced Lunch Program

Spread the love

   Applying for Free and Reduced Lunch

2017-2018 USDA Income Eligibility Guidelines

In order to qualify for meal benefits your household income must be within the limits defined by the 2017-2018 School Year USDA Income Eligibility Guidelines. These amounts are gross income (before deductions). (Scroll to bottom of page.)

Total Family Size Annually Monthly Twice per Month Every 2 Weeks Weekly
1 $22,311 $1,860 $930 $859 $430
2 $30,044 $2,504 $1,252 $1,156 $578
3 $37,777 $3,149 $1,575 $1,453 $727
4 $45,510 $3,793 $1,897 $1,751 $876
5 $53,243 $4,437 $2,219 $2,048 $1,024
6 $60,976 $5,082 $2,541 $2,346 $1,173
7 $68,709 $5,726 $2,863 $2,643 $1,322
8 $76,442 $6,371 $3,186 $2,941 $1,471
Each Additional
$7,733 $645 $323 $298 $149

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Jefferson County Public Schools offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.85 (elementary) and $2.10 (secondary), and lunch costs $2.85 (elementary) and $3.35 (secondary). Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. The reduced price is $.40 for lunch.

*Students in all grades who qualify for reduced priced meals receive breakfast at no charge. Students in preschool through 5th grade who qualify for reduced priced meals also receive lunch at no charge.*

Complete one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all Jeffco students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. A new application must be completed each school year.

Here are answers to questions you may have about applying:

1. Who can get free or reduced price meals?
All children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF (also known as Colorado Works)-Basic Cash Assistance or State Diversion) are eligible for free meals. Also, your children can get free or reduced price meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart (See below).

2. Can foster children get free meals?
Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

3. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?
Yes. If you have not been informed that your child(ren) will get free meals, please call the Jeffco homeless liaison at 303-982-1144 or the migrant coordinator at 303-982-9134 to see if your child(ren) qualify.

4. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

5. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply again later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving SNAP, FDPIR or TANF. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals during the time you are unemployed.

6. Whom should I include as members of my household?
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

7. What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month.

8. We are in the military; do we report our income differently?
Your basic pay, cash bonuses and any cash value allowances must be reported as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

9. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to complete another application?
Yes. Your child’s application is only valid for that school year and for the first 30 days of this school year. You must complete a new application unless you have been notified that your child is eligible for the new school year.

10. I recieve benefits from the WIC program. Can my child(ren) get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please complete an application.

11. Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, and we may ask you to send written proof of the information you provide.

12. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
Contact Lexi Kermani at 303 982-6916. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Beth Wallace, Food and Nutrition Serivces Executive Director, 809 Quail Street, Lakewood CO 80215-5509, 303 982-6748.

If you have any other questions or need help, call 303 982-6916. We will send you a letter when your application is approved or denied. Please retain the letter for your records.


Evan Smith, Manager of Technology Systems, Food and Nutrition Services

Non-discrimination Statement: In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027), found online at, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) E-mail:
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *